J. Patrick Tenney, AIA - Northwest Arkansas President and Corporate Treasurer
What year did you join Baldwin & Shell?
Have you had any title changes since you started, if so what are they in order?
- Estimator (1990-1991)
- Project Coordinator (1991-1995)
- Estimator (1995-1997)
- Division Manager (1997-2001)
- Vice President (2001-2013)
- President NWA Division & Corporate Treasurer (2014 – present)
What certifications, honors and or awards have you received?
- Registered Architect (1988)
- Estimator of the Year – Arkansas Chapter ASPE (1995)
- Forty Under Forty, NWA Business Journal (1999)
- Graduate of Leadership Springdale Class V (2000)
- Golden Paddle Award from the Illinois River Watershed Partnership (2014)
- Leadership Certificate Program (2015) – UA School of Continuing Ed & Academic Outreach
What trade organizations and/or boards are you involved in?
- Dean’s Circle – Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design, University of Arkansas
- Advisory Board – Construction Management Department, John Brown University
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- American Society of Professional Estimators (ASPE)
- Associated General Contractors (AGC)
What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Being part of a team that creates a building that will stand in service for decades
What is your specialty?
Preconstruction services and financial management of contracts and helping my team understand the architect’s viewpoint
What relationships have you built through Baldwin & Shell, and please describe?
I’ve enjoyed the relationships built within the design and construction industry. Within the state of Arkansas we are really a close-knit community.
What is your favorite thing about working at Baldwin & Shell?
The cohesiveness of our NWA team – the camaraderie
Where have you obtained your education and any degrees?
Bachelor of Architecture, 1983, University of Arkansas
How have you been involved with community service?
- Illinois River Watershed Partnership (IRWP) – Board Secretary, Executive Committee, Finance Committee, Technical Committee
- Springdale Public Schools Education Foundation
- Springdale Chamber of Commerce
- Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce – Construction & Developers Committee
- Preserve Arkansas
- Springdale Rotary
What is your spouse’s name?
How many children do you have and what are their names?
1 son, Will
What is your favorite book?
The Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks
What is your favorite movie?
It’s a tossup – Shane or True Grit (Coen Brothers version)
What is your favorite sport?
What are your hobbies?
Cabineering, camping, hiking, canoeing
What are two things you cannot live without?
Family & Coffee
What is your most memorable life experience to date?
Rafting the Animas River in Colorado with my wife and son
Who do you admire most?
My father, John W. Tenney
Where did you grow up?
Little Rock, Arkansas
What is something that would surprise people about you?
I like Wendy’s chili.
What is your favorite food?
What is your favorite sports team?
What is your favorite band?
The Turnpike Troubadours
Do you have any pets?
Olive – Labradoodle
Blue - cat
What is one word to sum you up?
What was your childhood dream?
To be a Razorback football player or a forest ranger
What is your favorite color?
What is something you absolutely will NOT eat?
What has been your biggest accomplishment in life?
My wife and son
What is your biggest pet peeve?
What motivates you?
The desire for those around me to be successful