Scott Copas - President & CEO
What year did you join Baldwin & Shell?
Have you had any title changes since you started, if so what are they in order?
Estimator, Project Manager, Director of Field Operations, Vice President, Executive Vice-president, Executive Vice-president/COO, President & CEO
What certifications, honors and any awards have you received?
- 2015 KARK Community Service Award
- 2010 American Heart Association Ken Gilbert
- ‘Volunteer of the Year’ Award
- 2006 UALR Foundation Award
- 2003 UALR Cyber Partner Award
- 1999 AGC Distinguished Service Award
What trade organizations and/or boards are you involved in?
- Industry Affiliations
- Certified Professional Estimator with American Society of Professional Estimators
- Past President of the Arkansas Chapter of the American Society of Professional Estimators
- Past President of the Arkansas Chapter of the Associated General Contractors of America
- National Director of the Associated General Contractors of America
- Past Chairman and current Board member of the Arkansas Contractors Licensing Board
- Past Chairman of the Task Force to the Joint Committee on Educational Facilities for the State of Arkansas
- Ex-Officio member of the Arkansas Department of Facilities and Transportation Advisory Board
- Past Chairman of the Arkansas Construction Industry Council
- Current Board Member of the UALR Construction Management Advisory Board
What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Working with the finest professionals in industry every day
What is your specialty?
Analytics, legal strategy, financial and people management
What relationships have you built through Baldwin & Shell, and please describe?
Great personal and business relationships with political, civic minded and business leaders throughout this state with a common goal to make our state the best place to live and work
What is your favorite thing about working at Baldwin & Shell?
Seeing our younger leadership developing into the future leaders of the company
Where did you obtain your education and any degrees?
Graduate of Parkview High School – 1971
University of Arkansas – 1971 thru 1974
What community service have you been involved in?
- Community Affiliations
- Past Board member and Treasurer of the Florence Crittenden Home
- Past Board member of the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra
- Past Co-Chair of the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra Opus Ball
- Past Director of the American Heart Association Affiliate Board
- Past Board member of the Central Arkansas Division of the American Heart Association
- Past Co-Chair of the Arkansas Division of the American Heart Association Heart Ball
- Past Chairman of the Baptist Health Bolo Bash Golf Tournament
- Past Co-Chair of the Baptist Health Bolo Bash luncheon
- Past Board member of the University of Arkansas School of Architecture Advisory Board
- Past Dean’s Circle member of the University of Arkansas School of Architecture
- Current Board member of the UALR Foundation Board
- Current Board member of Fifty for the Future
- Current member of the UALR EIT Leadership Council
- Current member of the Arkansas Career Education & Workforce Development Board
- Current member of the Children’s Advocacy Centers of Arkansas Advisory Board
What is your spouse’s name?
How many children do you have and what are their names?
- Beth Pew
- Michael Copas
- Nicholas Copas
- Chelsey Copas
How many grandchildren do you have and what are their names?
- Page Hoover
- Jackson Pew
- Catherine Copas
- Thomas Copas
What is your favorite sport?
What are your hobbies?
Golf and travelling
What are two things you cannot live without?
My wife and my children
What is your most memorable life experience to date?
The evening I met my wife
Who do you admire most?
Where did you grow up?
What is something that would surprise people about you?
I was a musical entertainer in high school and college and worked many bars and nightclubs.
What is your favorite food?
What is your favorite sports team?
What is your favorite band?
Do you have any pets?
Dog – Roxie – Cavelier King Charles Spaniel
What is one word to sum you up?
What was your childhood dream?
To be an Architect
What is your favorite color?
What is something you absolutely will NOT eat?
What has been your biggest accomplishment in life?
Chairing the Task Force to the Joint Committee on Educational Facilities for the State of Arkansas